Many people spend at least eight hours a day at work so it is important to look after your back during this time. There are all sorts of forces, movements and postures that can cause your back to ache, but there is a lot that you can do to protect your back.
- Avoid positions in which your back is bent and twisted at the same time.
- Avoid reaching - both when lifting and when carrying out other tasks.
- If you have to lift things at work plan the lift first and use good technique.
- If you work in a static job, seated or standing make sure your work set-up is correct for you.
- Avoid prolonged static postures, for example sitting at a telephone station or VDU - take regular postural breaks.
- Use equipment provided to reduce the load on your back.